Transfer Orientation Overview
Online Course and In-Person Session
To ensure that you are ready for your first quarter, UCSB offers a two-step transfer orientation process.
The first step is to complete the UCSB transfer online orientation course. Completion of this online course will enable you to register early for your fall classes; your registration appointment time on GOLD will be moved up to a date in mid-August. The deadline to complete the online orientation course and receive an earlier registration pass time is Friday, August 4. Learn more about how to complete the online orientation course.
The second step is to attend an in-person orientation session. Participating in a one-day, in-person transfer session is strongly recommended, and most major departments will expect you to attend in order to receive academic advising that is critical to a successful transition experience. Register for and learn more about the Transfer Orientation sessions.
By participating in both parts of UCSB’s transfer orientation programming, you will:
- Understand the academic and community expectations of a UC Santa Barbara student
- Feel more prepared to transition into a research university
- Receive important messages and advising information from your college and major department
- Become acquainted with the resources available
- Have a better understanding of the UCSB student experience
- Start making connections with new and current UCSB students
- Register early for fall classes after the conclusion of all the Orientation sessions in mid-August
Incoming transfer students in the following major departments are not able to make an appointment with their department advisor until after in-person transfer orientation sessions have ended: Biological Sciences; Communication; Economics; Psychological & Brain Sciences; Sociology.
Before making an appointment to see their adviser, all new transfer students should have completed the online orientation session.